Drug and Alcohol Policy
Drug & Alcohol Policy
We agree with that goal and believe that Management Security Solutions Limited has responsibility to its employees and those who use or come in contact with its products/services, to ensure a safe and productive work environment. To satisfy these responsibilities, it is the policy of Management Security Solutions Limited and a condition of employment that an employee be present and able to perform their job free from the effects of alcohol, narcotics, depressants, stimulants, hallucinogens and cannabis or any other substances, which can impair job performance.
We recognize that drug and alcohol abuse may be a sign of chemical dependency and that substance abuse can be successfully treated with professional help.
Management Security Solutions Limited
Provides an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees to deal with substance abuse and other personal problems that can affect work performance. Our commitment is to help employees remain productive members of our team. In certain circumstances, the company may insist upon a mandatory referral to our EAP as a condition of continued employment. No employee will be disciplined or discriminated against simply for seeking help.
The employee is responsible for following all of our work and safety rules, and for observing the standards of behaviour and employer, co-workers, and customers have the right to expect from you. In addition, if you believe you may have a problem with drugs or alcohol, you are responsible for seeking assistance, whether from or through the company or any other resource, before a drug or alcohol problem adversely affects your work performance or results in a violation of this policy. The time to seek help is BEFORE you are in "trouble", NOT AFTER. If a professional assessment is made that you have a problem with Drugs or Alcohol, your continued employment may be conditioned upon:
- Entering into and completing a treatment program approved by the company.
- Signing and living up to a last chance performance agreement.
- Undergoing a Follow-up Testing Program at companies' discretion.
Scope of Our Policy
This Policy and each of its rules apply whenever an employee is on or in Company
Property, surrounding grounds and parking lots, leased or rented space. Company time (including breaks and meal periods), in any vehicle used on Company business, and in other circumstances (such as on customer premises or at business/sales functions) we believe may adversely affect our operations, safety, reputation or the administration of this policy.
Our Drug and Alcohol Rules
The following rules are extremely important and an employee who violates any one of them will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
- Alcohol An employee may not possess, use, transfer, offer, or be under the influence of any intoxicating liquor while at work or on company business. This rule prohibits using any alcohol prior to reporting to work, during breaks or meal periods, or in conjunction with any Company activity, except social or business events where a Corporate Officer has authorized the moderate consumption of Alcoholic Beverages.
- Drugs An Employee may not possess, use, transfer, offer, share, attempt to sell or obtain, manufacture, or be under the influence of any drug or similar substance and also may not have any drugs of similar substances present in the body. Thus, an employee who tests positive for any illegal-drug violates this rule. This rule also pertains to Prescription drugs being taken without doctors authorization.
- Drug Paraphernalia and Alcohol Containers An Employee may not possess any Drug Paraphernalia or Alcohol Containers.
- Prescriptions/ Over-the-counter Medications It is the employees responsibility to check the potential effects of prescribed drugs and over-the counter Medications with your doctor or pharmacists before starting work, and to immediately let your supervisor know when such use makes it unsafe for you to report to work or do your job.
- Adulterants Any substance that is used for the purpose of Manipulating a drug test by adding to the specimen or ingesting.
All safety sensitive employees are required to pass a Company Drug and Alcohol pre-employment urine drug test before being hired.
Random Testing Program.
The Random-testing program is implemented by a third party and/or a computerized Selection Process throughout the year. The Third Party Administrator (TPA) combines the drivers from our company with drivers from other companies. The TPA selects 4 times per year and notifies the DER, Designated Employee Representative. The DER can notify the Driver within the selection period. When the driver is notified, they must test ASAP.
Mandatory Post Accident Testing.
Post accident drug and/or alcohol testing will be at supervisor or company request, or as Defined in guidelines.
Reasonable Suspicion Testing or Reasonable Cause
At least one Supervisor will be trained to make these observations of Work Performance, Behaviour, and Physical Indicators.
- Observable Symptoms or Unusual Behaviour.
- The Odour or Smell of Alcohol or Drugs on the employee's breath or clothes or in an area (such as in a vehicle, office, work area, or restroom) immediately controlled or occupied by the employee.
- Alcohol, alcohol containers, illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia in the employee's possession or in an area controlled or occupied by the employee (vehicle, office, desk restroom. ) ;
- Unexplained or Significant deterioration in job performance.
- Unexplained significant changes in behaviour (e.g., abusive behaviour, repeated disregard of safety rules or procedures, insubordination, etc.);
- Evidence that the employee may have tampered with a previous drug test.
- Criminal citations, arrests or convictions involving drugs and alcohol.
- Unexplained absenteeism or tardiness
- Employee admissions regarding drug or alcohol use;
- Any involvement in any work-related accident or near misses.
- Any type of Paraphernalia discover on your person or Company Property
Fit for Duty
The company could require a fit for duty exam by a certified Medical Practitioner; this exam can be administered along with Drug and Alcohol Screen to determine if employee is fit for Duty. This could be requested in addition to the DOT Medical card Certificate.
Duty to Cooperate
An employee who fails to cooperate in the administration of this policy generally will be terminated. This includes such things as:
- Refusing to consent to testing, to submit a sample, or to sign required forms.
- Refusing to cooperate in any way (for example, refusing to courteously and candidly cooperate in any interview or investigation, including any form of truthfulness, misrepresentation or misleading statements or omissions.); Any form of dishonesty in the investigation or testing process.
- Refusing to test again at a time of the Company's choosing whenever any test results in a finding of a dilute sample or reasonable suspicion.
Failure to accept the referral, to enter into and complete an approved treatment program, or to sign or adhere to the commitments in the Last Chance Performance Agreement.
Management Security Solutions Limited